Thursday, September 11, 2008

Lean Not...



Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways follow Him and He will make your paths straight.
- Proverbs 3: 5-6

This is the Bible verse that has been running through my head for the past two days, and I feel compelled and prepared to share the reason why: today I gave my two week notice at my construction/office job. Yes!!! I really did it!!! I know that some of you probably find this baffling, especially my close friends and family, because I have not talked about it with anyone; but my mom and I just bought a business together, which will become officially "ours" in the middle of October.

Most of you know that we have been selling earring charm jewelry for the past couple of years; well, we are taking it a step further, and we are going to be the wholesalers now. It is a big step for both of us, having been mainly in the "retail" end of business for most of our lives, but I feel that we are up to the challenge, especially since we are buying a well-established company. I signed a lease yesterday on a little office space about a mile from our home here in Salt Lake City. In the meantime, JJ is looking for promising jobs in the Spokane area, as that is where we would like to be in a year or so. Until that point, I will operate the wholesale business from my office, and then travel with my mom and dad for retail shows and other business trips.

The most difficult part of this entire event has been having to tell my office that I will not be with them any longer. My announcement this morning was met with surprise, sadness, anger and well-wishes all rolled up in one 15 minute time frame. That was hard for me. I have been really happy at my current job - I enjoy each and every person that I work with, and the job has proved challenging and exciting, although at times (and more often than not lately) extremely boring. When I sat and weighed all my options, the words of a very dear friend of mine came back to me: "You can always settle for stability and security, Erin. There are many, many jobs available at all times that offer both. But how many times are you going to get an opportunity like this? Is it worth it to pass it up, when the chance may never come around again?"

I say: "Wise friend."

3 comments:

Stacey said...

You are completely right..... I am flabberghasted!!!!
My friend there is so much I want to say and yet none of it is appropriate because it comes straight from my very emotional crazy side. So from my rational side I have to say "I love you with my whole heart, you are the dearest friend I have" I really only want to see you happy and if that means traveling so be it.If it means quitting your job so be it. I just think you need to make decisions for you and JJ that suit you as a couple.... pray about it and then act but do it as a team....
Love you,
Stacey

Jesse, Christa and Marshall said...

I'm really happy for you, Erin. This will be a great opportunity for you to earn a living doing something that you enjoy and to be closer to your family. But I also feel very selfish and want to keep you here. I'm mad at you for being so loveable. I wouldn't care if I didn't like you so much. We'll just have to make this year very memorable and hang out a bunch before you move. You will be missed.
Love,
Christa

Teaching by Mom said...

Erin,
I am thrilled you are following your heart! Not many have the courage to do that.
I look forward to up coming blogs telling us all about your new adventures. I am sure the road ahead will be filled with ups and downs, but you are the kind that will look back with no regrets, only filled with gratitude for your chance to LIVE life.
With love, blessings and admiration, Rachael

 


Design by: Blogger XML Skins | Distributed by: Blogger Templates